Discover the Epidemiology minor

The epidemiology minor is designed to introduce you to the application of epidemiological methods to real world public health challenges and research. After completing the two required courses, you may select three courses from the list of elective courses below.

Eligibility and application procedure

  1. Students enrolled in baccalaureate programs at Indiana University or other accredited colleges or universities who are in good academic standing may pursue the minor in epidemiology.
  2. Students must declare their intention to receive a minor by completing an application. Students may contact the undergraduate academic advisor in the Fairbanks School of Public Health at (317) 278-0753 if there are any questions associated with the minor or minor application. This application should be completed when the student completes an application for graduation of the baccalaureate degree.
  3. Public health majors are eligible for up to one minor from the following FSPH disciplines: community health, epidemiology, or global health. Additional details on this policy can be found in the FSPH Student Handbook.
  4. Students who successfully complete the requirements for the epidemiology minor with a grade of “C” or better in all courses credited to the minor will have the minor conferred with their baccalaureate degree.

Minor requirements

Take the three courses below for a total of nine credits.

  • PBHL-P 109 Introduction to Public Health
  • PBHL-E 210 Zombie Apocalypse and Other Doomsday Infections
  • PBHL-E 322 Principles of Epidemiology

And choose two of the courses below for a total of six credits.

  • PBHL-E 333 Buzzed and Stoned: The Epidemiology of Substance Abuse
  • PBHL-E 335 The Lurking Pandemic: Chronic Disease Epidemiology
  • PBHL-E 391 Chasing Disease: Public Health Surveillance and Response
  • PBHL-E 395 Sores and Drips: Epidemiology of Sexually Transmitted Infections

Note: PBHL-E 323 will be accepted as a substitution for one course in the choose from list.

Ready to get started?

Students must declare their intention to receive a minor by completing the application for minor form.

Complete the application for a minor form